Thursday, April 10, 2014

Do your students know why they come to speech?

At the beginning of each school year, I always have a student who cannot remember why they come to speech. Making sure my students know exactly what they are working on is very important for self-improvement.  This is one reason I began helping my students make personal goals. At the beginning of each quarter, we review the goals I have set for them and then I have the students write their own personal speech goals.  They draw a picture, write their personal goal and post it up in my room. Throughout the quarter, we refer to their posted goals often. At the beginning of every new quarter, we review our progress and reflect on our goals.  We make changes or write new goals if needed. Students also enjoy showing their parents the personal goals at conferences.  I have found this to be an easy and effective reminder of the importance of self-awareness, coming to speech and working hard.  This activity has increased my students motivation and helps increase progress.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I definitely want to incorporate a goal wall in my speech room too. :)

    ReplyDelete