Friday, April 18, 2014

Weekly Review: April 14th, 2014


Week of April 14th - 18th

This week, my students and I had a ton of fun! We even had some crazy weather {here in MN}, which seemed to make students and staff a little nutty! I am linking up with Old School Speech Blog for her "Week in Review".  She posts great ideas for speech and language therapy.  If you haven't yet, you should check out her blog, here.






At the beginning of the week we played Articulation Go Fish! My speech sound groups love this game.  We chose a targeted sound from SuperDuper Inc's fun decks, and we used card holders so we could focus more on our speech sound production, rather than trying to hold all those cards! This is a great "go-to" game which can allow for a lot of sound repetitions during short therapy sessions and the students really enjoy it.



In my speech room, we read I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll and started doing some activities from a book companion I created to go with the book.  My students seemed to love this book! {I also LOVE this book!} They were engaged the entire time and it took about 10-15 minutes to read it to them; if you use lots of expression and slow down.  Amanda Noll's use of adjectives is fabulous!  The book companion activities we completed this week were, sequencing and following directions with various concept words. {If interested in knowing more about my book companion, check out my blog post, here. If you are interested in checking it out on TpT, click here.}






Erik X. Raj came out with a new app this week, which I just had to download {FREE this week!} and try with my groups.  It is called Charades Articulation and can be found in the iTunes App Store, here. I LOVE THIS APP!  We had so much fun playing charades and working on our speech sounds {not to mention, describing skills!}. This app provided much needed laughter this week in MN!



Towards the end of the week, I played some Sequence for Kids {Click here, to buy game on Amazon} which allowed for my students to practice their articulation, expressive language {describing animals, following directions, explaining the game, etc.}, receptive language {understanding directions and rules}, and social skills {turn taking, appropriate response to winning, losing and not going first}. 




Another exciting week in speech therapy down! Seven more weeks until summer! {Not that I don't love my job, but who doesn't absolutely LOVE summer?!}

1 comment:

  1. The card holders are priceless, aren't they? I'm going to have to check out Amanda Noll's books...not sure how I missed them! THANKS for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete