Friday, October 10, 2014

Weekly Review: October 6th, 2014



This was the first full week in October! What did I do this week in therapy?!  Check out my weekly review to find out!










{Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday Linky Party! Hop on over there and check out with other educators did this week.}

The Day The Crayons Quit: Book Companion
{The Day the Crayons Quit: Speech & Language Book Companion Blog Review}
{The Day the Crayons Quit: Book Companion on TpT
We got busy working on our comprehension skills this week in speech!  This is one of my favorite books!  I created a book companion for it months ago--which is one of my best sellers on my TpT store. The comprehension worksheets are quick and can often be completed within a 20-30 minute session (depending on the level of the child) + reading the book.
This week, I also have been trialing some new materials that will be coming out in a week or two!  I am in the works of putting final touches on a "The Day The Crayons Quit: Speech & Language Book Companion Part 2!" Keeps your eyes peeled as this book companion will include social aspects, as well as more receptive and expressive language activities that correspond with the book!

New FREEBIE! 
{Download from TpT HERE}


These Open-Ended Paint Dabber Activity Worksheets are great for getting MANY repetitions of targeted skills! (e.g. articulation, grammar, following directions, etc. The possibilities are endless!)
80 target dots!
Pretty Paint Dabbers for Open-Ended Speech/Language Activities!
{Paint Dabbers found at Target-in store.}
Thanks for supporting my materials!

Linking up with Speechie Freebies!


OPEN ENDED ACTIVITIES
Manipulatives with Rice!

About 4 years ago, I put together this bin with uncooked rice and manipulative toys.  The students love this as it seems to be calming to feel the rice and look around for objects or animals.  There are endless possibilities with this bin!  Here are just some ideas I have used it for...

~Categories (sorting and naming)
~Articulation "I Spy"
~Choice time if earned
~Narrative Skills (choosing 3-5 objects/animals and telling stories about them)
~Following Directions (Example: "Pick up the lion before you close the box.")

Comparing/Contrasting Characters
Fall and Halloween themed books used for this activity:
I'm Not Afraid of This Haunted House by Laurie Friedman (book pictured)
The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt

Room on the Broom
by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
{Can be found on Amazon HERE}

My mom bought this book for my daughter this week... So naturally, I had to test it out in therapy first! Thank you Grammy Barb for choosing a great book for Addy!  It is fabulous for speech and language too :)

I paired the book with a freebie from Peachie Speechie!  Click HERE to download "Cariboo Comprehension: Room on the Broom"!


Weekend Outlook!
Excited to continue working on my daughters play kitchen!  Here is a before picture and some pictures of current progress...

BEFORE {Our old TV stand.}

AFTER {The paint job is almost done! Silver for a play refrigerator--and the other one is going to be an oven or a dishwasher~I'm not sure yet!}

Examples of other DIY play kitchens: HERE

What did you do this week?

Link in comments!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your post. Love your dabber freebie- already thinking about how I'm gonna use it. And as to a DIY, you might check out my post today for a way to keep those darn cards in the pocket dice :) We started blogging about the same time. I'm a follower! See you around. Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will check it out now! :)

      Delete