Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Liebster Award!


I have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Brittany Norris, of Speech Made Simple! The Liebster Award is an award given by current bloggers, to new bloggers with less than 200 email followers. The goal is to help them get their blog started and welcome them to the blogosphere. Anyone who is nominated is then asked to nominate others. To accept the award, the blogger must answer 11 questions posed by the blogger who nominated them. 







1. Why and how long ago did you start blogging?
I began blogging last March (March of 2014).  I began blogging because I was constantly reading other blogs by speech language pathologists and using their therapy materials from Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) to supplement the materials I was already making for my students.  I have always enjoyed social media and being crafty, so I thought why not combine the two and begin a blog to share speech language therapy ideas?!  I took the plunge into the blogging world and the Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT) world at the same time. I figured it was now or never!

2. What one word sums up the heart of the blog and why?

Connection.  I wanted my blog to be a connection for SLPs to find great materials and find "quick read" blog posts.  If you are a blogger, you know that your blog is always a work in progress.  I am still trying to find my way about what to write and post.  I have a million ideas in my head! I just need to find the time to blog about all of them :)

3. Is there something that you learned late in your blog journey that you wished you had known before?
I wish I had started a blog (and other social media outlets for SP/L) 7 years ago -- when I started my first job!  (Even in graduate school it would have been nice to have blog and social media connections related to SPL.) At that time, I didn't even know this speech online community existed.  Since I began blogging, I have met so many fabulous SLPs and other educators. This whole experience has helped me grow as a professional in many ways! 


4. What is your favorite pastime other than blogging?

I love everything DIY!  I am a f-a-n-a-t-i-c. If you follow me on Instagram, you will see me post a lot of do-it-yourself (DIY) projects.  My husband and I have also completely remodeled most of our house and landscaped our backyard in the 5 1/2 years we have lived there. I just can't get enough of building something with my own hands and re-purposing furniture {I guess it's a good addiction to have!}

5. How many hours per week do you dedicate to your blog?
I honestly have no idea how many hours a week I devote to this blog. Between my full time position as an SLP at an elementary school, being a mom to a 2 year old, a wife, cleaning the house and attempting to be as social as possible, any time left over is for my blog and DIY projects.  Which means, it's often late at night and on weekends!

6. What category of blog posts do you enjoy the most?

I enjoy reading blog post linky parties related to speech and language!  I love the fact you can click on any blogger who has linked up and here is all this information at your fingertips in one central location!  *I also have a compulsion about consistently reading a few DIY blogs.

7. Where does your blog inspiration come from?
My blog inspiration came from wanting to connect to other SLPs and become a more well rounded professional for my students.  I have always created my own materials, but blogging gave me another avenue of learning from other creative Speech Language Pathologists and sharing ideas.

8. What post have you written that you are most proud of?

Currently I am most proud of my Autism + Stuttering {My Experience} blog post. I would like to begin writing more informational/experience posts like this one.  I am also very proud of my Weekly Reviews!  I love sharing what I do in my therapy room every week {and seeing what other people are doing in therapy}!

9. Is there any post that you have been planning to do but keep postponing?
I have been writing a post about articulation therapy techniques for the /s/ and /r/ sounds for a few weeks now.  I just need to buckle down and finish it!

10. What is your favorite aspect of blogging?
I love that blogging is a great way (fun too!) to connect with other professionals and share information.  I have been introduced to so many awesome and creative people through this journey.  I am so thankful for the bloggospere!

11. What recipe, project, or idea on my blog would you most like to try yourself?
Brittany has many great materials on her blog!  The one I am most interested in at the moment is the Winter Print and Go Language Pack {find on TpT HERE}. I also love her ideas for articulation therapy blog post!


A huge thank you to Brittany for nominating me! Here is my nominations for the Liebster Award...

~Noralyssia at Yo Amo Speech blog!
~Elizabeth at The Speech Owl blog!


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kim! That is sooo great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got this out fast!!! :) I LOVE your weekly reviews and seeing your DIY projects :) Thank you for always sharing your great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete